Monday, January 19, 2015

BLTKM 1: Alt-printscreen and IFTTT

Better Living Through Knowledge Management

Basic tip:
See something you need on a computer screen? Click on the window you want to take a picture of. Hold down the "ALT" key and then press the "PrtScn" key. It will look like nothing happened, but your Windows machine will have put a copy of the active window. You can then "paste" it into a Word Processing program (Word, Google Docs, etc.)


There's a picture of what my computer looked like as I typed that.

On Macintosh, use "Grab" to get a picture of what you want.

Advanced tool:
IFTTT
ifttt.com

If This, Then That only makes sense if you already have several social media accounts, because it lets the accounts talk to each other. If you already have a Facebook account, and you already have a DropBox account, for instance, you can tell IFTTT - if someone tags me in a picture on Facebook, then save a copy of that picture to my DropBox account.

There are THOUSANDS of other possibilities. Send me a text if the National Weather service says that it could freeze overnight. When Amazon puts a list of new "free to kindle" books out, email me that list. When I leave work (as determined by the location of my smartphone, if I've connected that to IFTTT), make an entry in a Google Sheet for me, so I can calculate how much time I'm spending at work.

Note that this is also a potentially dangerous thing to do. You are connecting your social media/phone/other things together, which could make stalking you easier.

But I've been using IFTTT for a while now, and so I don't have to retype things from Twitter to Facebook - if I post something on Twitter, IFTTT takes care of posting to Facebook for me.

Find out more about IFTTT at https://ifttt.com/wtf

Use the comments for questions / responses

No comments: