Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Honey, I Wrecked the Kids: a guide to democratic parenting - Boing Boing

Honey, I Wrecked the Kids: a guide to democratic parenting - Boing Boing

Linda Stone recently handed me a copy of Honey, I Wrecked the Kids: When Yelling, Screaming, Threats, Bribes, Time-outs, Sticker Charts and Removing Privileges All Don't Work, a 2009 book by Adlerian family therapist Alyson Schafer.

Honey, I Wrecked the Kids is a book about parenting without bribes or punishments. Schafer says that training kids to respond to either form of coercion puts them at risk of growing up to be pushovers or bullies, and suggests that the real trick to happy parenting is to find ways of working with your kids that get them to want to "behave" at home and school.

- Sounds like a good read

No comments: